Thursday, May 23, 2013

Chaos, Couture and Impressionism

A visit to the Metropolitan Museum Of Art in NY is akin to going to Ikea for me in some ways. Granted, the items on view are beyond comparison, but the effect both have on me is very similar.... 1/ I wanted to be there,  2/ I'm completely overwhelmed, 3/ I can't easily identify the way out of the maze. Instant panicky fatigue sets in.

Last week I had my most positive experience so far at the Met. All the familiar anxiety symptoms were present but it was well worth suffering for. In a very under marketed (in my opinion) way there was a superb juxtaposition of 2 exhibitions, the first one being Chaos to Couture, a fashion exhibit which brilliantly showed how the punk street fashion of the '70s ended up influencing the major fashion houses like Givenchy, Prada etc. Beautiful clothing, room after room of it, ...... the things that you and I were wearing back then, or at least observing, and examples of the way it has since been adopted and re-marketed as high fashion. It was FABULOUS, if you like that sort of thing. A magnificent shrine to the evolution of the People's politically and socially stimulated creativity, factoring in our lack of money which made the black plastic garbage bags, the safety pins and torn, embellished t shirts so attractive as a fashion statement,  to the glamorous high end fashion industry's cashing in on it over the subsequent decades.
Why don't I have photos? Because sadly the Met won't allow it and I don't have an iphone to be discreetly rebellious with.

Walking 40 blocks up 5th Avenue the next day it occurred to me to test the theory by looking in all the designer windows. Not a punk inspired garment in sight, not one! I got very excited when Bergdorf Goodman had some definitely '70s derivative stuff in it, but sadly it transpired that they were a sponsor of the exhibition so that didn't count. I do buy into the premise though, the exhibits definitely bear that out. I don't believe that New Yorkers have ever worn that stuff to the extent that Londoners did, and still do.


Window gazing in the sunshine




Didn't I used to know you?



The next door exhibit was entitled Impressionism:  Fashion to Modernity.
I was very enthusiastic to see it, mainly because I really appreciated the implied link between the two and also, though on one hand I feel like I've seen too much Impressionism to be very impressed anymore, respect is definitely due.

Apparently it occurred to the Impressionists to paint people in the garments they were wearing at the time, pictures of stylish men and women reflecting the spirit of the age.  This caused a considerable outrage in the Art community. Their pictures were banned from major exhibitions and ridiculed for lack of classicism.  Who would think it would be so controversial?
Each room of the exhibition was devoted to a theme.... black dresses, white dresses, daydresses, accessories, menswear, umbrellas, corsets....  There were actual garments, as depicted in the paintings, preserved behind glass. It was by far the most endearing glimpse into the lives of the Impressionists I have ever had. They revealed themselves as not only brave, ground breaking artists, but real men and women leading real lives who posed their long suffering family members again and again in different outfits in order to complete a painting and bucked convention as surely as the punks of the 1970s.




My favorite painting in the exhibition, from the Musee D'Orsay, Paris,.... just stunning, the composition and the beautiful light....  In The Conservatory (Madame Bartholome) painted by her husband, an artist I didn't know at all, circa 1881. She died a few years later but he still had her lovely outfit and here it is today in New York.


10 comments:

  1. Oh I am so envious...what a tremendous exhibition that must have been. The Tate gallery in Liverpool is currently holding a Glam Rock exhibition, tying the music, fashion and art of that period together. It was interesting to see what I thought had been a particularly English ( or even London) based movement clearly had western world significance...Andy Wharhol and the whole emergence of gay art and culture as "acceptable" as homosexuality equality legislation was enacted. This MMoA exhibition sounds as if it should be seen alongside the one at the Tate. Perhaps we should suggest that people who buy tickets for one of them, should get free entry ( and transatlantic flight) to the other !
    I love you photos Jill.....perfect.
    best wishes Janice x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Janice! Oh yes, I would love to see that one too, it would be extremely interesting to have them back to back. I must see if it's still on in August when we're home. Liverpool has a lot to offer culturally doesn't it?
      Bit poignant looking back at this post as since then I sprained my knee very badly and am bedridden..... will never take walking for granted again!

      Delete
  2. Great Blog post Jill and I love your apres photo's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Pauline, nice to see you!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like an interesting exhibition. I too often find galleries a little overwhelming and try to limit myself to one or two rooms each visit. Not always easy, however, especially when it is a gallery you are unlikely to make it to again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the trick, I agree. Set a reasonable boundary. All the major museums in Washington are free so there's no feeling of having to get your money's worth out of the visit, (spoken like a true Yorkshire woman!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes ,Dress is always either a provocation or a distraction.Although i cant imagine my tatty jeans ever hanging in the Tate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know..... how spectacularly tatty are they?

      Delete
  6. Hi Jill, I've just spent an agreeable half an hour reading back through your blog - I'd forgotten you kept one! It's been wonderful to be transported to another place and catch a glimpse of US living, I think you're certainly managing a little more culture than me at the moment. I'm inspired too by the simplicity of your journal keeping. I fear I have let 'too much under the bridge' whilst waiting cor inspiration to strike. I think I could do with learning from your lightness in this space, it's refreshing. Glad to have 'rediscovered' your blog. x PS I loved the picture of you with Billy Bragg - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Selina, thanks, and nice to hear from you! I always enjoy reading your blog too, it's fascinating to have a peek inside someone else's life. I like the daily photo type of blogging approach, have been thinking about that as a way to overcome the inhibiting feeling that it has to be a big production.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete